March 23, 2020
SEAFOOD FRITTERS: A SIGNATURE RECIPE BY CHEF KIL TLAA'SGAA
Haida Tourism’s Executive Chef Kil Tlaa'sgaa Brodie Swanson’s famous seafood fritters are raved about by guests and locals alike! While his own version is stuffed with rock scallops, octopus, razor clams, cockles, spot prawns, herring roe, smoked lingcod, and local seaweed, it is easy to make this special recipe your own depending on your personal preferences and the availability of local seafood.
Try making your fritters with one or all of the delicacies listed below, ensuring your seafood weight is exactly 750g in total.
Octopus, Razor Clams, Scallops, Spot Prawns, Dungeness Crab, Smoked Salmon, Smoked Sablefish.
- 1500g Flour
- 500g Cornstarch
- 20g Baking Soda
- 20g Baking Powder
- 25g Salt
- 1900g Water by weight
- 250g Green Onion
- 250g Kimchi or Sauerkraut
- 750g Local Seafood
- Combine all dry ingredients (flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder; salt) in a mixing bowl.
- Finely chop (mince) green onions, kimchi, and seafood.
- Combine wet ingredients (water, green onion, kimchi or sauerkraut, your choice of seafood) separately in a large mixing bowl.
- Gradually and gently incorporate your dry ingredients into the wet seafood mixture.
- Combine thoroughly, taking care not to overmix.
- Preheat 2” of oil to 350F in a pot or deepfryer.
- Using a 1-ounce scoop measure (or a 1-tablespoon-sized ball), drop fritter mixture into the hot oil.
- Fry fritters for 5-7 minutes until golden and crispy.
Garnish (optionally) with Bonito flakes, crumbled dry smoked salmon or nori ribbons, eel sauce and sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy.
Hala ga taa Come and eat!