February 19, 2020
RECREATE HAIDA HOUSE’S FLAVOURFUL BLACK GARLIC AND GINGER CRAB DISH AT HOME
Situated along the leisurely flowing Tlell River in the remote region of Haida Gwaii, Haida House at Tllaal is a destination resort like no other. With direct access to Haida Gwaii’s rich bounty of land and sea, the dining room at Haida House consistently impresses guests with seasonal tide-to-table fare starring sustainably caught seafood and locally sourced produce. This season, Head Chef Kil Tlaa'sgaa Brodie Swanson has designed a tantalizing menu that pays homage to Haida culture while treating guests to a luxurious culinary adventure. One of Chef’s favourite dishes is Black Garlic and Ginger Crab – and we are delighted to share his prized recipe below, so you can recreate the Haida House dining experience at home!
BLACK GARLIC AND GINGER CRAB RECIPE
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Dungeness Crab (Whole)
- 200g Black Garlic
- 150g Ginger
- 150g Green Onion
- 150ml Fish Sauce
- 60ml Honey
TO COOK THE CRAB
- Add ¼ teaspoon salt per gallon of fresh water, and bring to a boil.
- Immerse cleaned crab. Boil for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove crab from pot and rinse under cold water.
- Set aside.
TO COOK THE SAUCE
- Roughly chop the black garlic, ginger and green onion.
- Add to high-speed blender, along with fish sauce and honey. Blitz until smooth and mostly black, with a paste consistency.
- Add as much butter as desired.
- Crack the crab in half and crack each of the legs to allow sauce to touch the meat.
- Sauté black garlic paste until very fragrant.
- Add crab and stir thoroughly, until crab is fully coated in sauce.
- Garnish with chopped green onion.
Serve and enjoy, or Hala ga taa "come and eat”!